Monday, April 16, 2012

Blogging about Vegie Mince.

Sometimes, being with a meatatarian can be very difficult...especially for someone who would be vegetarian if she didn't have to cater to meatatarians.... I have however come up with a solution that helps to alleviate a bit of the meatage onslaught - I am by no means the first person to ever do this but I thought I'd share it anyway...Vegie mince. it is basically the best way I have found to make meals that appeal to the palettes of meatavores and still make my quota of 50% meat free. It goes a little something like this.

2 large carrots, finely grated
2 large zucchinis, finely grated
6 largeish mushrooms, diced
6-7 finely chopped sundried tomatoes
one bunch of radishes, diced or grated
400g red kidney beans, crushed

This quantity makes enough for a huge lasagne or nachos for like 8 adults...so you can adjust the quantities of ingredients accordingly...

other things you can add are things like cauliflower, pumpkins, sweet potatoes, parsnips - but it depends on what you are trying to make as to whether you would use these things or not. For example, Pumpkin is good for lasagne not so great for nachos or pasta.

You could even add lentils to this for a lot of extra bulk, but basically this is what I use as a substitute to meat in things like nachos, lasagne, pasta, pies and stews. I use it just like you would use regular mince... It requires more cooking because of the extra liquids, but it is so worth it.

So there you have it...

1 comment: