Friday, October 8, 2010

Snickerdoodles!

I have been having a bit of fun with some cooking :) My friend Rae used to make this kind of biscuit called a snikerdoodle, and I thought I would try my hand at making them. I have managed, once again to surprise myself with my ability to cook biscuits - a skill I thought I didn't possess. However, as a successful attempt at making gingerbread men and now snikerdoodles proves, I am in fact capable of cooking biscuits without them becoming little charred lumps.



Snickerdoodles

Ingredients

1 & 3/4 cups plain flour
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg
1/4 tsp bicarb soda
1/3 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 cup raw sugar
1 tbsp ground cinnamon

Method

1.Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F)
2. With an electric mixer, beat margarine at a low speed until it goes lighter in colour( about 15-
20 seconds) and add castor sugar and beat for one minute.

3. Add vanilla and egg, and beat for a further minute.

4. Add bicarb and cream of tartar, followed by flour. Mix with a wooden spoon.

5. mix raw sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Roll biscuit dough into 2 cm balls and roll them in the sugar until covered. Place on greased, lined trays, about 3-4 cm apart to allow for some spreading.

6.Cook in oven for 10 minutes. allow to cool on tray for a few minutes, before transferring to a plate or wire rack.



Makes a butt load.


No comments:

Post a Comment