Monday, October 4, 2010

Sleeping Beauty Serena.

I got the opportunity to play around with a sleeping beauty Serena spinning wheel today. It belongs to my friend Ellie who was going to give it to me in exchange for sufficient yarny products. I was really keen on it too, but after having played with the wheel for an hour or so, I found it to have one too many flaws for me. :/ it is pretty disappointing, because it is truthfully a very pretty wheel.

Firstly, I gave the old girl a new tension spring, because every good wheel deserves one,and that fixed up the tension and she spins BEAUTIFULLY. I really cannot fault the wheels tension. The wheel also had a rickety pedal, which I fixed up with a screwdriver and some washers. It will still need a new hinge though, as the pin is loose and it still clacks a bit, but it doesn't move around as much now. The thing that finally did it for me, was the orifice. the orifice on the Serena is tiny. It is so hard to thread that it really gets quite frustrating. also, there are no maiden bearings on the Serena- after a bit of research, I have supposed this was a part of their way of making the Serena more affordable. In order to keep the wheel turning nicely, it needs to be oiled regularly, or it starts to make a loud "burpppp" sound - the result of friction I assume. This would be ok, except that the length of the orifice and the way it is positioned means that the grease gets into the orifice and onto my wool, staining it - which is NOT cool. :( So alas, I have decided to say no to Serena. I'm sorry sleeping beauty - your wheels are lovely, but the Serena is not for me.

I will still borrow it though :) because it is always fun to play with new wheels and Peggy broke again :(

No comments:

Post a Comment