Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Harry Harlow

I have been reading about the work of the psychologist Harry Harlow. I must admit I cried a lot while I was reading about his work, and I can't believe he could have done such things...but something inside me wants to thank him for the advances he made in understanding the importance of affection and contact between mothers and babies... the sacrifice of his victims...the monkeys he deprived of all love....have shown us exactly what not to do. I feel so conflicted, because I cannot deny, as so many others would like to...that he has helped us as a society, to ignore the voices of the past, which would seek to encourage us to deprive our children, and to embrace that natural and necessary urge to hold them close to us, and to let them grow, and leave us when they are ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment