Sunday, December 13, 2009

EASY AS scone recipe

I love to bake and cook. I have worked in kitchens as my primary form of employment and have come across many wonderful recipes. Of all of the wonderfully delightful fun time and company snacks, nothing beats good scones, but if you are anything like me, no amount of experience has allowed for the making of a decent batch using the traditional methods. Traditionally, scones are made with cold butter (HAS to be cold or the scones will be greasy), plain flour, milk, baking soda, sugar, and salt. It is a precise and precarious process which involves practically having a PhD in chemistry and I hate it. But my love for scones led me to find a new method that produced superior scones with zero fuss. I found this method. 3 ingredients, no hastles.

EASY AS scones.

2 cups Self Raising Flour
2/3 cup thickened cream
2/3 cup of cold lemonade

1. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Celsius

2. Mix lemonade and cream together.

3. Sift in flour and fold together (not too much or scones will be tough)

4. Turn out onto floured bench and give a light squish until all combined and pat out to about 2 cm thickness.

5. For cutting, you can use a scone cutter, or a knife. Flour you cutter/knife EVERY time you press it into the dough so that the edges don't get pushed down too much, as pressed down edges will prevent the scones from rising properly. I prefer to cut my scones into squares with a floured knife, as it uses all the dough in one hit. You should be able to get 9 regular sized scones or six large scones out of this mix.

6. Place the scones on a greased and floured baking tray. To aid in the rising, scones should be placed very close together. Cook for about 10-15 minutes. They should be lightly golden.


So there you go. Quick, easy, yummy scones for any occasion! Serve with jam and cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment