Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ahh....dye day. :)

So I dyed the first 700g of my 17.5 micron fibre. Then it became overcast. Go figure. So now, after a wonderfully sunny day, my wool is going to sit, wet until tomorrow. Perhaps longer. This idea doesn't appeal to me, so I have stuck them in front of the heater to dry.

Anyway, The colours all turned out really nice. I had another go at the black, turquoise, green and fuchsia one again, with the same level of success as last time, but it still looks OK. I did a 200 gram lot that I am VERY happy with, and I did some kettle dying that turned out noish.

The new dying and cooling technique I came up with seems to be working a treat with preserving the quality of the fibre, so it is super smooth and smooshy with next to no aggravation of the fibres. This is particularly exciting for me, because it was the biggest flaw in my dying. This hurtle overcome, i just have to get better at dying black and get softer hands. :D

I will post photos of the new fibres when they are dry.


I finally got round to doing my colour samples too, writing down the exact measurements for dye stock and dying small strands of wool so I can see what the colours look like. So far I have done a whole heap of greens, some purples, and a blue. I will do others later. It is sure to be extremely helpful. Every dyer I have spoken to about it suggests it is a great idea. I have just been doing trial and error and randomness so far, but now i am set for a more structured approach to dying.


No comments:

Post a Comment